- June 2019
- President’s Notes
- Sharing Boise
- Idaho’s Rangeland Commission Brings Ranchers, Public Together
- Send ASI Your Sheep & Dog Photos
- Colorado Processing Facility Under Construction
- Guest Column: The Importance of Data Collection
- Crowds Flock to California Schools
- Market Report
- Around the States
- The Last Word
Send ASI Your Sheep (& Dog) Photos in 2019
Livestock guardian and herding dogs are just as much a part of the American sheep industry as lamb and wool, which is why ASI wants to recognize their contributions in the 2019 ASI Photo Contest.
In a major change to this year’s photo contest, ASI has eliminated the fine wool category and replaced it with a division honoring a sheepherder’s best friend. The catch is that any photos submitted in the working dog category must be of dogs and the sheep they protect and/or herd.
“We had so many great dog photos submitted in other categories in the past couple of years,” said Sheep Industry News Editor Kyle Partain. “Some of them won awards, but we’ve never really had a category that catered to this aspect of the industry. Photos that include aspects of wool – such as shearing and classing – can be submitted for consideration in the action or open categories.”
Mark your calendars now, as the deadline for the 2019 ASI Photo Contest is Aug. 1. All entries must be submitted by 5 p.m. mountain time on that date. The top three finishers in each category will receive a cash prize and be featured in the October issue of the Sheep Industry News.
Other than the new category, rules and prizes for the 2019 contest haven’t changed. Photographs entered in the contest will be judged on clarity, content, composition and appeal. More than $1,000 will be awarded, with awards of $125 going to the first-place photographer in each of the five categories listed below; $75 for the runner-up in each category; and a $50 prize for third place in each of the five categories. Again, entries must be received in the ASI office by 5 p.m. mountain time on Thursday, Aug. 1, to be considered. Only the top three photographers in each category will be notified of their winnings.
Photographers are advised to submit photographs in the largest file size possible. Also, judges and ASI staff encourage entrants to provide both horizontal and vertical photos. This will better assure these talented and creative photos can be shared in future issues of the Sheep Industry News, as well as in the 2020 ASI Calendar and other industry publications.
Below are the five categories in this year’s contest:
1. Action – Photographs of activities such as moving/trailing sheep, lambing, tagging, feeding, shearing, etc.
2. Scenic (East) – Photographs of sheep outdoors located east of the Mississippi River. Photos entered in this category cannot include people.
3. Scenic (West) – Photographs of sheep outdoors located west of the Mississippi River. Photos entered in this category cannot include people.
4. Working Dogs – Photographs in this category should show livestock guardian dogs and herding dogs in their natural environments. Photos must also include sheep in some fashion, as proof that these truly are working dogs.
5. Open – Photographs with subject matter that does not fall into the four above-listed categories.
Other contest rules:
• ASI can use or reproduce all entries at the discretion of ASI. In addition, entries will not be returned.
• ASI is not required to notify photographers when photos are used in materials.
• Photographs can be submitted via hard copy or electronically.
• All entries must be at least 3 inches by 5 inches, color or black-and-white, high-resolution photos (larger sizes encouraged).
• Entries must be submitted in the name of the person who took the photograph.
• Entries are limited to two per category per person.
• Only photographs that have been taken in the past six years can be entered.
• Photographs submitted in previous ASI photo contests cannot be re-entered.
• The following information needs to be included with each submission: title of photo; category (from the five listed above) into which it is being entered; photographer’s name; mailing address; phone number; email address; and approximate location/date of photo.
• If there is a particular story or background that goes with the photo, please include that, as well, with the entry.
Entries should be emailed to Partain at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of ASI Photo Contest. Those mailing photos should send them to ASI; Attn: Photo Contest; 9785 Maroon Circle, Suite 360; Englewood, CO 80112.