- June 2017
- President’s Notes
- ASI Submits Nominees for ALB, NSIIC
- Industry Sets Research Priorities
- Photo Contest Now Open
- Vermont Natural Lamb
- Opportunities to Expand
- Let’s Grow Supports Education
- Let’s Grow Awards Round Five Grants
- NSIP Certification Launches
- ASI Represents Industry at IWTO
- Market Report
- California Ram Sale a Success
- Nasal Swabs Needed for Research
- The Last Word
Photo Contest Now Open
Chances are you’ve already got some great photos to enter in the 2017 ASI Photo Contest. But even if you don’t, you’ve still got plenty of time to head out to the pasture, the barn, the mountains or wherever inspiration strikes and snap that perfect, award-winning entry.
As always, there’s a small cash reward and the opportunity to be featured in the Sheep Industry News riding on your ability to capture the sheep industry in its most flattering light.
Rules and prizes for the 2017 contest haven’t changed. Photographs entered in the contest will be judged on clarity, content, composition and appeal. More than $1,000 will be awarded, with awards of $125 going to the first-place photographer in each of the five categories listed below; $75 for the runner-up in each category; and a $50 prize for third place in each of the five categories. The deadline? Entries must be received in the ASI office by 5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 17, to be considered.
The winning photos will be highlighted in the October 2017 issue of the Sheep Industry News. Only the top three photographers in each category will be notified of their winnings.
Photographers are advised to submit photographs in large file sizes. Also, judges and ASI staff encourage entrants to provide both horizontal and vertical photos. This will better assure these talented and creative photos can be shared in future issues of the Sheep Industry News.
Below are the five categories in this year’s contest:
1. Action – Photographs of activities such as moving/trailing sheep, lambing, tagging, feeding, etc.
2. Scenic (East) – Photographs of sheep outdoors located east of the Mississippi River. (Photos entered in this category cannot include people.)
3. Scenic (West) – Photographs of sheep outdoors located west of the Mississippi River. (Photos entered in this category cannot include people.)
4. Fine Wool – Photographs that spotlight the strength, beauty and natural magic of American wool, to include sheering, fleece photos or any shot that captures the qualities of fine wool.
5. Open – Photographs with subject matter that does not fall into the four above-listed categories.
Other contest rules:
• ASI can use or reproduce all entries at the discretion of ASI. In addition, entries will not be returned.
• ASI is not required to notify photographers when photos are used in materials.
• Photographs can be submitted via hard copy or electronically.
• All entries must be at least 3”x5” color or black-and-white high-resolution photos (larger sizes encouraged).
• Entries must be submitted in the name of the person who took the photograph.
• Entries are limited to two per category per person.
• Only photographs that have been taken in the past six years can be entered.
• Photographs submitted in previous ASI photo contests cannot be re-entered.
• The following information needs to be included with each submission: title of photo; category (from the five listed above) into which it is being entered; photographer’s name; mailing address; phone number; email address; and approximate location/date of photo.
• If there is a particular story or background that goes with the photo, please include that, as well, with the entry.
Entries should be emailed to Sheep Industry News Editor Kyle Partain at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of ASI Photo Contest. Those mailing photos should send them to ASI; Attn: Photo Contest; 9785 Maroon Circle, Suite 360; Englewood, CO 80112.