- September 2015
- President’s Notes
- Producers Testify in Wyoming
- Let’s Grow Announces Second Round of Funding
- Lone Star State Celebrates Two Anniversaries
- Helle Wins Preliminary Battle in Federal Grazing Lawsuit
- Lamb Jam Master To Be Decided in New York
- Fibrelux Shows Value in Early Tests in San Angelo
- NSIIC Accepting Grant Proposals
- New Research Journal Article Posted
- Market Report
- Sheep News In Brief
- The Last Word
NSIIC Accepting Grant Proposals
The National Sheep Industry Improvement Center Board of Directors has announced they are accepting grant proposals designed to improve the U.S. sheep industry. Applications will be accepted through Oct. 16.
The Center was established as part of the 2008 Farm Bill. As part of the 2014 Farm Bill, the Center was awarded funding by USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service to be used for the Sheep Production and Marketing Grant Program. The Center is now making available approximately $300,000 in grant funding.
Financial assistance must accomplish one or more of the following objectives:
• Strengthen and improve long-term sustainability of the lamb and wool industry’s infrastructure by increasing the numbers in production;
• Provide integration of performance/production data from sources that can help enhance the National Sheep Improvement Program;
• Provide leadership training and education to producers and packers within the sheep industry;
• Enhance sheep production by improving infrastructure of the U.S. sheep industry through assistance to all segments of the industry to address sustainable production and marketing of sheep milk, meat, fiber and related services, such as grazing for fire management and pasture improvements;
• Promote lamb marketing through an organized method that can measure tangible results;
• Enhance the sheep industry by coordinating information exchange and seeking mutual understanding and marketing within the international industry community.
The nine-member board will review each proposal, recommend funding and submit final recommendations to AMS for approval. Additional information can be found on the Center’s Website at NSIIC.org. For more information, contact Steve Lee, Program Manager, National Sheep Industry Improvement Center, PO Box 646, Rockland, ME 04841, 202-350-9065, email@example.com.