Biosecurity for Sheep Farms

Biosecurity is an important step for all sheep operations, regardless of size, to help keep animals and people from being exposed to disease-causing organisms.

Practicing good biosecurity is one of the best ways to keep sheep healthy and protect sheep farms across the country. It is another way for sheep farms to maintain business continuity and prepare for a foreign animal disease outbreak.

Use the resources below to develop a custom biosecurity plan that addresses your specific site needs.

Prepare to Protect Your Flock

Producers should work with their herd veterinarian to assist in developing a site-specific enhanced biosecurity plan and to develop a routine flock health program that includes vaccination and other disease prevention measures.

Implementing this plan will help prevent exposing animals to disease. It will also help maintain business continuity in the event of an outbreak and the limited movement of animals.

If foot and mouth disease (FMD) is found in United States livestock, Regulatory Officials will limit the movement of animals and animal products to try and control the spread of this very contagious animal disease.

Foot and mouth disease (FMD) is not a public health or food safety concern. Meat and milk are safe to eat and drink.

The Secure Sheep and Wool Supply (SSWS) Plan for Continuity of Business provides opportunities to voluntarily prepare before an FMD outbreak. This will better position premises with sheep that have no evidence of infection to:

  • Limit exposure of their animals through enhanced biosecurity,
  • Move animals to processing or another premises under a movement permit issued by Regulatory Officials, and
  • Maintain business continuity for the sheep industry, including producers, haulers, packers and wool processors during an FMD outbreak.

Visit the Secure Sheep and Wool Supply Plan for planning resources available in English and Spanish:

  • Biosecurity Manuals and Plan Examples
  • Checklists and Templates
  • Signs and Posters
  • And More

National Premises Identification Number (PremID or PIN)

Request a National Premises Identification Number (PremID or PIN) from the office of your State Animal Health Official. In a foreign animal disease outbreak, the PIN will allow producers to be notified if they are in a regulatory Control Area, speeding up a response.