For information on ordering official sheep tags click here.
To request official sheep tags, a flock or premises ID or both, call 1-866-USDA-Tag (866-873-2824).
Electronic ID Transition Working Group
Animal identification and animal disease traceability systems are hot topics in the livestock community today.
Concerned that the USDA will at some future time impose a plan of their own for the sheep industry, in 2020, the ASI Animal Health Committee convened a small working group of diverse and knowledgeable industry representatives and subject matter experts to develop a blueprint for transitioning the sheep industry toward electronic ID. The group is led by ASI Animal Health Committee Co-Chairs, Dr. Cindy Wolf and Dr. Jim Logan.
A report from the EID Working Group is expected in early 2022.
In 2021, ASI conducted an online survey of more than 500 sheep producers to gather information on industry animal ID practices and perceptions regarding a national animal disease traceability system. Read more about the survey in the links below.
Sheep Identification Working Group 2004
A group of industry leaders, led by Dr. Cindy Wolf, co-chair of the ASI Animal Health Committee, convened to develop a well-defined implementation phase-in plan for sheep identification that is consistent with the established standards and goals of the National Animal Identification System (NAIS).
Click on the links below to download the Working Group documents:
- January 2007 – SFCP, NSEP and NAIS – How They Interact (pdf)
- August 2006 – Sheep Identification Working Group Final Report (pdf)
- August 2006 – Sheep ID Working Group Presentation to NIAA ID Expo (pdf)
- April 2006 – National Animal Identification System Facts & Myths (pdf)
- January 2006 – Sheep ID Working Group Presentation to Board (pdf)
- May 2004 – Sheep Specific Working Group Report (pdf)
- August 2004 – Sheep Identification Presentation (Power Point)
- August 2004 – Sheep Identification Presentation (pdf)