2021 ASI Photo Contest
A new category called Shepherd/Shepherdess has been added to the 2021 ASI Photo Contest to include photos of producers, herders or others working with sheep. The new category replaces the action category in this year’s contest.
“We’ve received some great photos in the past of producers and others working with sheep, but we didn’t always have a great category for these types of photos,” said Sheep Industry News Editor Kyle Partain, who oversees the ASI Photo Contest each year. “The new category was actually a suggestion from an ASI member during the 2020 contest. Our entire staff agreed that it would be a great addition to the contest. We look forward to seeing some wonderful images of our members and the men and women who work with them to keep the American sheep industry moving forward.”
Other than the one category change, rules and prizes for the 2021 contest are the same as last year. Photographs entered in the contest will be judged on clarity, content, composition and appeal.
More than $1,000 will be awarded, with awards of $125 going to the first-place photographer in each of the five categories listed below; $75 for the runner-up in each category; and a $50 prize for third place in each of the five categories.
Entries must be received in the ASI office by 5 p.m. mountain time on Monday, Aug. 2, to be considered. Only the top three photographers in each category will be notified of their winnings.
Photographers are advised to submit photographs in the largest file size possible. Also, judges and ASI staff encourage entrants to provide both horizontal and vertical photos. This will better assure these talented and creative photos can be shared in future issues of the Sheep Industry News, as well as in the 2022 ASI Calendar and other American sheep industry publications.
The five categories in this year’s contest are:
- Shepherd/Shepherdess – Photographs of producers, shepherds or others working with sheep.
- Scenic (East) – Photographs of sheep outdoors located east of the Mississippi River. Photos entered in this category cannot include people.
- Scenic (West) – Photographs of sheep outdoors located west of the Mississippi River. Photos entered in this category cannot include people.
- Working Dogs and Protection Animals – Photographs in this category should show herding dogs, livestock guardian dogs or any other livestock protection animal in their natural environments. Photos must also include sheep in some fashion as proof that these truly are working animals.
- Open – Photographs with subject matter that does not fall into the four above-listed categories.
Other contest rules:
- ASI can use or reproduce all entries at the discretion of ASI. In addition, entries will not be returned.
- ASI is not required to notify photographers when photos are used in materials.
- Photographs can be submitted via hard copy or electronically.
- All entries must be at least 3 inches by 5 inches, color or black-and-white, high-resolution photos (larger sizes encouraged).
- Entries must be submitted in the name of the person who took the photograph.
- Entries are limited to two per category per person.
- Only photographs that have been taken in the past six years can be entered.
- Photographs submitted in previous years cannot be re-entered.
- The following needs to be included with each submission: title of photo; category (from the five listed above) into which it is being entered; photographer’s name; mailing address; phone number; email address; and approximate location/date of photo.
- If there is a particular story that goes with the photo, please include that, as well, with the entry.
Entries should be emailed to Partain at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of ASI Photo Contest. Those mailing photos should send them to ASI; Attn: Photo Contest; 9785 Maroon Circle, Suite 360; Englewood, CO 80112.
- PRODUCER EDUCATION & INFORMATION
- Animal Care & Welfare
- Animal Health
- Industry Information
- Wool Quality
- RESOURCE CENTER
- Market Reports
- Allied Organizations
- Let’s Grow Resources
- Lamb Contacts
- Wool & Pelt