Tags Out/Bellies Out Untied
Wool preparation methods vary according to the breed of sheep and volume of wool. It is important that producers consult with marketing representatives and potential buyers to find out what preparation methods are best for their wool types.
- Remove belly wool during shearing and package separately
- Remove excess tags and top knots, package with sweepings and locks
- Remove areas high in contamination and place with belly wool or locks as needed
- Fold fleece into thirds and roll from britch or rear to the front with flesh side out
- There is no need to tie fleeces with paper twine if the flock is uniform, sorter properly prior to shearing, or if wool is to be classed
- Wool prepared in this manner should have three distinct lines Fleece Wool, Belly Wool, and Locks/Tags.
Advantages of Preparing Wool Bellies Out Untied:
- Does not require additional labor or equipment
- Reduces vegetable matter, poly and other contaminants in fleece lines
- Decreases amount of stained and colored fibers in white face fleece lines
- Increases length uniformity by removing short wool from fleece lines
- Standardizes wool preparation allowing for more objective marketing