February 15, 2005
2 lbs. American lamb riblets, well trimmed and marinated in Italian salad dressing
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 to 2 teaspoons curry
? teaspoon tumeric
? teaspoon salt
2 cups rice
4 cups chicken broth
8 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
? cup frozen peas, defrosted
? cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 lemon, sliced into wedges
8 medium clams, washed
- Drain ribs; place on grid of broiler pan.
- Roast in 325 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 15-inch paella pan or 10-inch skillet, heat oil and saut? onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in red and green pepper, curry, tumeric, salt, rice and chicken broth; bring to a boil. (If skillet is used, transfer to 13x9x2-inch baking pan.)
- Top with cooked riblets and bake in 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and clams; bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top with peas and almonds.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
Low Calorie Stuffed Potatoes
4 baked potatoes
1 cup chopped broccoli
2/3 cup chopped carrot
? cup finely chopped onion
? cup chopped mushrooms
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup cooked American lamb, cut in ?-inch cubes
? cup cottage cheese
? cup plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- In preheated 400 degree F oven bake potatoes approximately 40-50 minutes, depending on size.
- In large pot of boiling water add broccoli and carrots, cooking until tender.
- In large pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms. Saut? approximately 1 minute.
- In large bowl combine cooked lamb, saut?ed vegetables, broccoli and carrots. Mix well.
- When potatoes are done and cooled slightly, make lengthwise slit in each one; scoop out pulp and place in medium bowl.
- Add cottage cheese, yogurt, broth and seasonings to potato mixture, beating until smooth.
- Combine potato mixture with lamb mixture.
- Stuff each potato, top with cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until hot.