January 6, 2012
Just two weeks remain until sheep producers will be meeting in Scottsdale, Ariz., for the 2012 American Sheep Industry Association (ASI)/National Lamb Feeders Association (NLFA) Convention. Following are some updates to be aware of:
- Sleeping Rooms -- For anyone who does not yet have a sleeping room, we have procured a secondary hotel, The Cottonwoods Resort, which is located less than one mile south of the Plaza. For detailed information on reservations, go to www.sheepusa.org and click on the Scottsdale logo.
- Registration - Please continue to send in those registrations even though the early registration deadline has passed.
- Saturday Lunch Speaker - Greg Casey has been confirmed as the Saturday lunch speaker. Casey was the 34th Sergeant at Arms and Doorkeeper of the U.S. Senate and regularly provides political commentary on national radio and television and is often quoted in such publications as The Wall Street Journal. The Washington Post once referred to him as a "Washington all star." Armed with the ultimate insider's understanding of Washington's political machinery, tempered with real-world business experience, Casey has been a principal behind-the-scenes operative in a multitude of campaigns at the local, state and federal level as well as contests for Congressional leadership for more than 30 years. Plan to attend!
- Golf - Spaces are still available for the NLFA golf tournament on Tuesday, Jan. 24. Call NLFA at 503-364-5462 to sign up.
- Emerging Entrepreneurs - A few $200 grants are still available for producers between the age of 25 and 40 who raise sheep and are first-time attendees to the ASI convention. Call Judy at 303-771-3500, ext. 35, if you are interested.