December 16, 2011
The National Sheep Industry Improvement Center (NSIIC) board will be meeting in Scottsdale, Ariz., during the American Sheep Industry Association/National Lamb Feeders Association Convention on Wednesday, Jan. 25. The board would like to dedicate a portion of its meeting to a public forum in order to get input from attendees as to the priorities for future grant funding.
During the last round of grants, the major organizations provided the suggestions as to which areas of funding should be the highest priority. These included:
- strengthen and improve long-term sustainability of the goat and/or lamb and wool industry's infrastructure by increasing production numbers;
- provide integration of performance/production data from sources that can help enhance the National Sheep Improvement Program;
- provide leadership training and education to producers and packers within the sheep and goat industries;
- enhance sheep and/or goat production by improving the infrastructure of the U.S. sheep and goat industries through assistance to all segments of the industry to address sustainable production and marketing of sheep and goat milk, meat, fiber and related services such as grazing for fire management and pasture improvements;
- promote lamb and meat goat marketing through an organized method that can measure tangible results; and
- enhance the sheep and goat industries by coordinating information exchange and seeking mutual understanding and marketing within the international industry community.
Individual suggestions are being sought. The open forum will be held from 2-3 p.m. in La Valencia B. Please make an effort to provide feedback to NSIIC so it can provide grants in the most needed areas for the industry.