November 18, 2011
The National Sheep Industry Improvement Center (NSIIC) in October concluded the grant review and selection process for 2011. Awarded grants support facility and infrastructure improvements designed to strengthen and enhance the production and marketing of sheep and goat products in the United States through infrastructure development, business development, production, resource development and market and environmental research.
Grants that were funded include:
- American Sheep Industry Association - Sheep Producer Mentorship Program Introducing New Producers to the Opportunities of the Sheep Industry;
- Iowa State University - Educational Seminar Funding for the 2012 National Goat Expo;
- National Lamb Feeders Association - 2012 East Coast Howard Wyman Sheep Industry Leadership School;
- National Sheep Improvement Program - Transition to LambPlan Evaluation;
- Utah State University - Identification of Genetic Regions Influencing Foot Rot in Sheep;
- Washington State University - Extension Sheep Production and Management Courses; and
- Ranch Management Consultants Inc. - Ranching for Profit: A Grass Roots Approach to Achieving Sustainability in the Sheep Industry.
A brief description for each grant is available at www.nsiic.org.