September 2, 2011
The board of directors of the National Sheep Industry Improvement Center (NSIIC) is soliciting input from individuals within the sheep and goat industries as to what, in your opinion, are the top priorities that would help the industry in the coming years.
The board addressed the following priorities, which were provided by the national organizations, in the first round of requests for grant proposals:
- Strengthen and improve long-term sustainability of the goat and/or lamb and wool industry's infrastructure by increasing production numbers.
- Provide integration of performance/production data from sources that can help enhance the National Sheep Improvement Program.
- Provide leadership training and education to producers and packers within the sheep and goat industries.
- Enhance sheep and/or goat production by improving the infrastructure of the U.S. sheep and goat industries through assistance to all segments of the industry to address sustainable production and marketing of sheep and goat milk, meat, fiber and related services such as grazing for fire management and pasture improvements.
- Promote lamb and meat goat marketing through an organized method that can measure tangible results.
- Enhance the sheep and goat industries by coordinating information exchange and seeking mutual understanding and marketing within the international industry community.
Individuals can provide suggestions by email to email@example.com or by mail to NSIIC, Box 646, Rockland, Maine 04841. Please submit comments by Dec. 15.