Nearly a year after the H1N1 flu spread around the world, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the pandemic over. In a press conference, WHO Director General Margaret Chan said that the world had come out of the sixth phase of the pandemic alert.
"We are now moving into the post-pandemic period," Chan said and added an international public health emergency on the H1N1 virus was not required.
WHO spokesman on flu, Keiji Fukuda, also said that his organization does not consider the H1N1 influenza virus a possible cause for another pandemic even in the event of future severe outbreaks in different parts of the world.
Last year's flu affected some 214 countries and claimed more than 18,000 lives. It was first found in Mexico and in the United States in April last year. Despite taking drastic measures, like a complete one-week shutdown, Mexico could not stop the spread of the virus, provoking the United Nations body to raise its alerts and ultimately declare a pandemic on June 11 of last year.
More than 300 million people received H1N1 vaccinations worldwide, according to WHO.