February 12, 2010
If you have not visited the Web site of the American Sheep Industry Association (ASI) lately, now would be a good time to do so. Several new items have been posted for your comment and review.
- Draft management plan for livestock protection dogs (LPD). The ASI working group on LPD is seeking comments from sheep producers across the country on a draft management program of dogs. The draft proposal is available for review at www.sheepusa.org/Livestock%20Protection%20Dogs. Your input on this proposal is valuable!
- Nontraditional lamb market report. The report, Nontraditional Lamb Market in the United States: Characteristics and Marketing Strategies, proposes to define, quantify and predict the growth of the nontraditional lamb market in the United States. It is predicted that as many as 1.2 million head of slaughter lambs are marketed through nontraditional channels and, therefore, not counted in federally inspected slaughter numbers. Click on the link on the home page to access the report.
- 2010 convention presentations. The speakers at the 2010 ASI convention permit ASI to post their presentations to the Web site. A wide range of topics were presented and can now be used as resource materials. The presentations are available at www.sheepusa.org/2010_Meeting_Presentations.
- Research Symposium. The submissions to the 2010 U.S. Sheep Research and Outreach Program are also online. This program provides an opportunity to recognize the diligent sheep research efforts of numerous scientists from throughout the country. Go to the Research Journal section on the Web site to see this year's submissions.
- NAHMS 2011 Sheep Study Survey. The National Animal Health Monitoring System is asking for producer's insight into important issues facing the U.S. sheep industry. Click on the link from the home page to provide your input.