November 15, 2003
(Six to Eight Servings)
- 2 pounds cubed American lamb, trimmed of all fat (bones may be added for flavor, if desired)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- ? cup barley or rice
- 2 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables or vegetables of choice
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley leaves
- 1. Place lamb, water, salt, cloves, peppercorns, onion, turnip, barley or rice, tomatoes, vegetables and parsley in electric slow cooker.
- 2. Cover.
- 3. Cook on low for about 10 hours.
Flavorful additions to Lamb Vegetable Soup: Add zucchini or yellow squash, okra, spinach, cabbage or some of each. Add ? teaspoon ground oregano, summer savory or sweet basil.